Should I box my luggage?
While you can definitely ship naked luggage, we always recommend boxing your luggage to avoid normal wear and tear that can occur during the shipping process. Any cardboard box will do!
Found in this article
Do I need to box my luggage
If you're dropping off your luggage at a carrier location they may try to convince you that boxing is required, but it's not. Just keep in mind that they charge for packing services so it's in their best interest to turn you into a paying customer. There is no fee to drop off a pre-labeled package (box, luggage, etc) at a carrier location unless the location is inside a hotel (such as a business center).
Benefits of boxing my luggage
- Predictable Pricing - It is easier to have a predictable billable weight for your shipment because you don’t need to be concerned with straps, wheels and handles influencing the dimensions of your shipment.
- Protect your luggage - When you ship an unboxed suitcase it may incur common wear and tear associated with shipping and the outside suitcase it not eligible for insurance coverage.
- Easier Labeling - It is easy to attach a shipping label to a box using packing tape or a clear shipping pouch.
If you don't have a box, your local UPS Store or FedEx Office can help secure a shipping label to a suitcase handle using materials they have on-site. Some locations will provide you with a specialized tag for luggage free of charge.
Can I ship a box instead of luggage
Yes. We practically love boxes because shipping boxes is so much easier and more predictable than shipping naked luggage.
Where can I get a box
Here at LugLess, we always recommend boxing your luggage. However, we know that buying boxes can be kind of expensive, especially when purchasing them from the carrier directly! That's why we searched for the best deal, and we found that Amazon has the best price on boxes.
If you are about to move or just want to stock up, they offer some really good value packs that fit into each of our luggage/box size categories:
- Here's our favorite 18 pack of boxes and supplies that work well for our carry-on category
- Here's our favorite 12 pack of boxes that works well for our checked category
- Here's our favorite 10 pack of boxes that works well with our oversize category
- If you want a mix, here's our favorite 14 pack of boxes and supplies that works well with our carry-on and checked categories
If you just need one box you can get them at UPS Stores, FedEx Office, Lowes, Home Depot, or UHaul to name a few. Just note, they may be pricier than buying in bulk ahead of time.